Monday 18th March 2013 was the day when Dewsbury Mark Lodge celebrated its centenary at the Masonic Temple, Halifax Road, Dewsbury. The Consecration of the Lodge took place at the Masonic Lodge, Longcauseway, Dewsbury on 29th January 1913, although the Lodge had met dispensation from Mark Grand Lodge as a regular Lodge prior to the Consecration for the purpose of advancing duly qualified Brethren on 27th November 1912.
Some 74 members and guests attended the meeting, which happened to be the same number as attended the Consecration meeting in 1913. Among the honoured guests attending were the R.W. Assistant Grand Master H. Keith Emmerson, the Deputy Grand Secretary, W.Bro. Lt.Cdr. Angus P.D. Hannagan and V.W.Bro. Paul P. Paterson, P.G.J.O., acting as the Grand Director of Ceremonies. In addition the Provincial Grand Master, R.W.Bro. James Steggles, accompanied the Deputy Provincial Grand Master, V.W.Bro. Robert Corfield, P.G.J.O., and the Assistant Provincial Grand Master, W.Bro. John Fred Clough, P.G.J.D., together with R.W. Bro. Brian Morris Batty, P.P.G.M. and R.W.Bro. Brian Emmett, P.G.J.W., along with twelve Acting Officers of the Province were also in attendance.
The Lodge was opened at 4.30 p.m. the Worshipful Master, W.Bro, Michael John Littlewood, P.G.J.D., following which the Provincial Grand Master entered and was offered the gavel, which he took and he occupied the Chair. The Assistant Grand Master, R.W. Bro. H. Keith Emmerson, then entered and he was offered the gavel R.W.Bro. James Steggles, which he took and he occupied the Chair.
The Deputy Grand Secretary read the Centenary Warrant, after which it was presented the R.W. Assistant Grand Master to the Worshipful Master. Members of the Lodge were then presented with Centenary Jewels the Assistant Grand Master.
The Chair was then offered back to the Worshipful Master. The Provincial Grand Chaplain, V.W.Bro. Edward K. Patnick gave a most memorable Oration, for which sincere and grateful thanks were given the Worshipful Master.
After hearing extracts for the Consecration Minutes, read the Lodge Secretary, Bro. John R. Davis, and a brief synopsis of the history of the Lodge the Worshipful Master, W.Bro J. Alan Winder, P.P.G.S.W, Almoner of the Lodge, presented a cheque from the Lodge in support of the Cleeves and Whitehead Trust.
After the retirement of the honoured guests, the Lodge was closed in peace and harmony at 6.30 p.m.
At the Festive Board, an excellent meal was enjoyed all. A special Table Mat had been produced the Lodge with the individuals name on the front of each. On the reverse were listed the names of all Masters, Secretaries, Treasurers and Directors of Ceremonies since the Consecration in 1913. There is no doubt that the members and guests of the Lodge will remember the splendid evening for a long time to come.